Friday, December 16, 2011

Project Macaron

There are macarooooooons (those dry coconut ball things), and then there are macarons. I have been enthralled by the french pastry - macarons - for a long time. I don't know what came upon me, but today I got out of bed and decided I would learn how to make french macarons.  Macarons are famously difficult to master, but I wanted to learn how to pull off at least one batch by French Dinner. I think when I broke the news to Mike that I wanted to learn how to make these, he thought I was crazy. Well, initially he didn't think I was crazy. But when he got home from work and saw the kitchen had exploded in almond flour making madness, then I think he thought I was crazy.

Daniel and I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a 300 page book about how to make these pastries. We jumped into research and experiments. And more experiments. I was having some issues, so I had my pastry chef friend Cameron come over and help check my oven and trouble shoot my first batches.

Macarons are my new hobby. I love making french pastries and I am really enjoying this learning experience.

Before I start making complicated flavors and colors, I thought I'd start with a plain almond shell with vanilla ganache using the french meringue method. This was my first successful batch! 


Getting gutsy, I thought I'd try my hand at lavender shells. I love eating lavender.  

And while I'm at it, why not try making a french tart crust or two using the french tart method...

Mastering macarons could take a lifetime. These little complicated joys aren't going anywhere, any time soon. More pictures coming.

No comments: