Saturday, July 24, 2010

Float Party!

We had a fabulous 24th of July Pioneer Day Celebration!  Did you know you can actually see the parade without having to sleep on the streets of downtown SLC, wake up to the sun glaring you in the face, and sweat to death for hours as they s-l-o-w-l-y creep by? You totally can - and it's free! Melissa called me up and invited me to go with her and the kids to the Float Preview Party.  All the floats are put on display at at the South Town Expo Center. You can walk around them, touch them, seem them fast, or see them slow. Plus, the kids get balloons out of it which makes it way better than a live parade!

My favorite float was the mormon cricket float that had a cricket for every year since the pioneers entered the valley! It was super cute and featured seagulls eating cricket cookies.
Steve joined us on his lunch break. Can you tell sweet little Raegan was excited to see her dad?

On the actual 24th, Mike and I let our bikes rest for the day and ran the Deseret News 10k. I got the exact same time on this year's 10K as I did on the same course 2 years ago. The only difference was is that this year I didn't train at all. Go figure. Mike was super sweet and stayed with me the entire time!  I love running along the parade route as all the sleepy parade-goers are waking up. One group even gave us Perier in fancy disposable champagne glasses. It was GREAT fun!

Boy I am glad that my great-great-whatever grandmother walked across these united states so that I could have yet another excuse to party!

No comments: