Sunday, August 24, 2008

An entire week at lake powell? Is it christmas already!?

It all began many years ago - okay not so many i'm not that old - when my dad brought the entire family to a family council to bring a very important matter up for voting. We had the option of going on a trip to Europe or going to Lake Powell. Immediately upon hearing our options, I thrust my little hand up in the air screaming for Lake Powell. I'd heard about it for years from my dad - this mysterious and beautiful lake - I just had to go.

Lake Powell is my favorite place on earth. You can argue with me all day, but you won't win. You won't ever get a more beautiful sunrise than a Powell Sunrise in Lake Canyon. You won't eat better ice cream than at the Bullfrog or Halls Crossing marinas. You won't get a better tan, or warmer water. You won't feel closer to your family and closer to the lord than when you're all together on Lake Powell. I love Lake Powell. So, naturally, when my dad proposed a big family trip in early February, I found myself throwing my hand up into the air - just like my little girl self - screaming for LAKE POWELL! Could it be? Me? Mike? My entire family on a boat at Powell for an entire week? This was something i've hoped for since we loaded up the trailer last time.

Lake Powell makes me feel like a little girl again. With sand between my toes, sticky fingers and a chocolaty face from my fresh s'more. It felt so good to be with Mike and my family - and to be little again.

This was probably my most relaxing Lake Powell trip I've had. Although the book I read sucked (won't even tell you what it was I was so embarrassed - I'm not having good luck with summer reads chosen outside of my book group) - I enjoyed once more sitting atop the houseboat, tanning, sipping Perrier, and reading.

Dad took Mike and I out for some of the most beautiful morning ski rides i've ever seen. Patricia cooked the most amazing food I've had in a long time. She made fresh, healthy amazing food every single meal!

Alex is a natural sailor.

We all made tie-dye shirts. I've never tie-dyed before. it was a blast - although when I realized Carsen's shirts turned out much better than mine, I realized that I over-thought my designs.
Us and our tie-dye shirts.
Steve and Carsen tie-dyed but missed the pic.
For the record, Steve won the prize for most innovative design.


Alex and I had matching tie-dye shirts.


The manly men and their macho mustaches.

Carsen started growing facial hair at such a young age!

We had a slight Anasazi Brick Oven casualty - as we were building the oven (as we do often at Lake Powell) a giant wildabeast jumped from behind a rock and broke Patrick's finger! At least, this is the story he tells. Really - it got crushed by a rock. OUCH!
Our Anasazi oven and bread.

Carsen caught many fish - each named Freddy - what a coincidence! Carsen and Mike built habitats for all of the Freddies. Mike beat dad in the Fishing Derby and later, Mike surprised the entire family with some fun shore-side fireworks.

Let it be known, Dad and Mike hold the record for the longest tube ride in our Molecule's history - all the way to AND from Halls Crossing to Annie's Canyon.

The week was amazing. I found myself in the same state as I am every year as we're exiting the channel - my eyes start to fill with tears and I'm full of gratitude for a wonderful family who loves me and has fun together, and a wonderful place to live. Goodbye lake Powell - until next year - I know you'll be waiting for me. You always do.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Thiss made me relive our week together! Thank you catherine!

Josh and Anna said...

What a fun trip! We used to go to Lake Powell when I was younger, but my family hasn't been in YEARS. I'm totally jealous.

n@ said...

Looks like heaven!!! Some of my best memories are in Powell... I miss it!

Julie said...

I am so jealous that you got to ski again before Fall and Winter! You look great! And I must say that the picture of you and Mike kissing on the Molecule is classic. I love it.

Aubrey said...

Oh, Lake Powell... I miss it! You really captured it. Of course, we've never house boated Lake Powell together, but you captured some of my favorite memories of our family vacations there.