Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's Ski To Freedom!

So I'm a bit behind in my posting, but I just couldn't wait any longer to talk about our 4th of July weekend. We truly enjoyed our day off - and long weekend. We spent the 4th doing one of my favorite things ever! Camping and Water skiing!
On Thursday night we drove up to the lake and marked our spot - McHenry Loop D - the most popular camping spot at Jordanelle. After watching Mike and Kevin put up the tent (no worries - I cheered them on) I helped mom and dad unload everything from the truck. With our campspot claimed, we put the boat out on the water an enjoyed a wonderful evening ski. I used my new camera to take some beautiful pictures.
This is Mike.

This is me.

This is Kevin. Sorry Kev-I'll post some cutting pictures too-but this is the coolest fall picture I have ever ever seen. If you zoom in, you can even see his facial expression!


We all of us skied until we couldn't grip the rope any more. Little did we know, dad and mom had quite the treat ready for us back at the camp - a delicious dinner - gourmet kabobs. These weren't just any kabobs - there was steak, and corn, and onions and banana squash. The corn is the absolute best when cooked over a fire. It gets this yummy smokey taste it just can't get by being boiled. I stuffed myself sick, made a couple of s'mores, and stuffed myself even more. When we all couldn't stuff any more, we climbed into the tent. Mom and dad had the best bed (and best view of the stars). They slept in the bed of the truck on top of a blow-up mattress. I can't lie - I spent all night competing against Philo for my pillow - so I was just a tad jealous.

When we woke up (thanks Philo for waking me up so you could go smell the little flower right next to the tent and go exploring down by the lake - no I know you didn't need to go potty - you were just bored) Dad and Mom (again) favored us with their cooking. Delicious omlette, fresh fruit etc... We filled up our tummies and went out for more skiing. Philo was one lucky pup - he was fed (by someone who will not be named) 5 sausages. Needless to say, throughout the morning, 3 of the unchewed-and-perfectly-in-tact-swallowed-whole-sausages came back to play. There was no hurry to get back up on the lake because typically other boaters don't show up until 11am at the earliest. We woke up at 8 and took our time getting back on the water. It was nice not to have to fight traffic or other boats - as we were basically the only ones our on the lake (again!).



The water's temperature is really getting warmer and Jordanelle. I probably didn't need to wear my wetsuit, but I wore it anyways. Hey - we all look cooler in wetsuits!
Dad!

Mike!

Dad!

Kevin froze the whole day. He's too used to Mexico. I was plenty warm.

Mom and I took LOTS of pictures this weekend.

All this got me thinking - I felt so pampered on this trip between the great water, fun boat, awesome company and gourmet food. I have decided that boat drivers are very much so under appreciated. I know that I tend to give my boat drivers (typically my Dad or Mike) a really hard time for going .00025mph too slow or .0001mph too fast. I'm starting to feel kinda guilty for my perfectionism and backseat driving. For this reason, I wrote.....

A Tribute to my Driver: A Poem.
This is a tribute to you.
You know who you are.
Gas payer.
Boat Driver.

Picky skiiers often don't regard
The work it takes to make a perfect 34mph
They may complain or they may blame
but you still smile.

A tribute to you - my own personal perfect pass.
Perfectly coaching
and driving
and watching
and drift wood dodging

All so I can do what I love most.
Skiing.

2 comments:

SGarff said...

Great poem!

Anonymous said...

Tribute fully appreciated. I live for this....