This weekend, my cousin Craig was killed in a tragic boating accident. I am sure many of you have seen the news stories that have been running all week. I think this sad event came as a shock to not just Craig's immediate family, but our entire extended family. First thing on Sunday morning, Mike and I went with Mom and Dad to see if we could offer any assistance at the Lake.We sat together, united as one big family on the sidelines of search and rescue efforts. I felt so blessed to be able to be there and hear my parents, cousins, aunts and uncles bear testimony of eternal families and the plan of salvation. I know many family members wished they could be in that room with the Decker family; offering their love and support, their faith and their prayers. In particular, my cousin Joanne's testimony and prayer has stuck with me all week. Her strong faith and sure knowledge that Craig is at peace and his happy has strengthened my own testimony.
The news of Craig's death really caught me off guard. Craig and I are close in age. His death has made me realize how much we take our life on earth for granted. This is an easy thing to do when you're young and everything is going just right. Do we take the time to stop and thank our Heavenly Father for our opportunity to be here and have these experiences? Many things accompany our taking life for granted - we all take so many blessings for granted - relationships, small moments with loved ones - nature - food on the table - educations. As I have contemplated this throughout the week, I realize that although there are many attributes of Craig's that I wish I carried, I'm not like Craig. From my observations, Craig didn't take the simple joys of life for granted. I know he didn't take his relationships with his siblings for granted, nor the blessings of everyday life. The fact that he truly cherished all of his blessings was manifest in the way he led his life.
I have always looked up to Craig. I especially remember a time vising from Michigan that we spent with the Deckers. I wanted to be just like my cousin. He was so funny (in on all the pranks - dog treats in the anniversary party sandwiches), he was so kind, he always shared, and he is one of the few cousins where we actually could pass as siblings (we looked alike!). I remember sitting out with the family in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard, swinging on the porch swing with Craig. It's in small moments like this that made me feel so blessed to have the family (and the cousins) that I have. It's true what Uncle Lyle said about Craig on Sunday - Craig loves people and People loved him.
Craig saw the hand of the Lord in everything. This is what made him so positive and happy all of the time. I hope that I can always take with me the example of my cousin Craig. Not much has changed since we were little - I still admire and look up to him. I hope I can be a better person and begin to recognize the Lord's hand in everything. I hope that I can learn to not take my relationships with my siblings, my parents, my in-laws, my aunts and my uncles and cousins and the rest of my family for granted. I hope that I can be positive throughout all the challenges I experience. I hope that people remember me for the big smile on my face. I hope that no matter how old I get, I keep my tender heart. I hope that I can reach out to others' and lift them up. I hope that I can be more open about sharing my testimony with others. All of these things are attributes of Craig that I want to make my own. This is what Craig has taught me.
I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches us about the Plan of Salvation. Life is eternal; families are eternal. Craig's life does not end on this earth, but it extends into the eternities. I know that our entire family will be together forever. I am grateful for the beautiful family that the Lord has blessed me with. This is a sad time - sometimes I feel a bit helpless in the fact that I don't know how to help my aunt, uncle and cousins. We all feel sad right now, but know that we don't have to feel sad forever. We all know that we will all be with Craig and each other again. This is my testimony.
------------------------------------
For more information on Craig Decker, there are many sites you can visit. My awesome cousin Kevin and some other family members (and honorary family members:) ) have gone out of there way provide a way for all of us to come together and share our feelings and memories of Craig. Please visit the following sites:
KSL's Feature Story on Craig
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3697617
As a side note on this story, I don't like how the news refers to him as a "man." This is because to me, we're all still just kids.
Website: In Memory of Craig Decker
http://www.craig-decker.com
Welcome to Craig-Decker.com. The main goal of this site record and share the light that Craig has brought in all of our lives. It will also keep you posted on current events, such as funeral arrangements.
Blog
www.craig-decker.blogspot.com
This is in connection with the Craig-Decker Website. People have used the website to submit memories of Craig. We post them on this blog in order that they are recieved. Very inspirational.
Craig's Blog
http://www.cddoj.blogspot.com/ Here, Craig posted some inspirational thoughts, day-to-day updates, some short stories and some poetry. Craig's YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/captaindanger384 As many of you may know, Craig lost his hand in a fireworks accident. He turned a negative into a positive and started producing instructional videos to help others with the same disability.
Craig Decker Legacy Trust Fund
Because of the unexpected nature of Craig's passing, a trust fund has been set up so that those who would like to help the Decker family and ease the expense of the funeral. Any surplus will be put into a scholarship fund for young studnets leading others to making the world a better place. You can donate directly into the trust at any Key Bank location, or you can use Paypal (https://www.paypal.com). Simply log in and click the "send money" tab at the top. Send donations to donations@craig-decker.com.
KSL's Feature Story on Craig
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3697617
As a side note on this story, I don't like how the news refers to him as a "man." This is because to me, we're all still just kids.
Website: In Memory of Craig Decker
http://www.craig-decker.com
Welcome to Craig-Decker.com. The main goal of this site record and share the light that Craig has brought in all of our lives. It will also keep you posted on current events, such as funeral arrangements.
Blog
www.craig-decker.blogspot.com
This is in connection with the Craig-Decker Website. People have used the website to submit memories of Craig. We post them on this blog in order that they are recieved. Very inspirational.
Craig's Blog
http://www.cddoj.blogspot.com/ Here, Craig posted some inspirational thoughts, day-to-day updates, some short stories and some poetry. Craig's YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/captaindanger384 As many of you may know, Craig lost his hand in a fireworks accident. He turned a negative into a positive and started producing instructional videos to help others with the same disability.
Craig Decker Legacy Trust Fund
Because of the unexpected nature of Craig's passing, a trust fund has been set up so that those who would like to help the Decker family and ease the expense of the funeral. Any surplus will be put into a scholarship fund for young studnets leading others to making the world a better place. You can donate directly into the trust at any Key Bank location, or you can use Paypal (https://www.paypal.com). Simply log in and click the "send money" tab at the top. Send donations to donations@craig-decker.com.


1 comment:
We are truely sorry for your loss Catherine. Thank you for bearing your beautiful tesimony. We know you and all of his family will be reunited.
Post a Comment