Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What once was lost...




Thanks to all of you great friends and family members who have given me moral support, prepared me for the worst and just plain felt bad for us this last weekend after Jeepie was stolen.  It seems so silly to be so upset about a "thing," but if you know me (or my family) you'll know that jeepie is much more than a vehicle. 

The jeep has been a part of my family for 16 years (since 1995 if my math is correct). Both my sister and I learned how to drive in the jeep, and my brother learned how to drive clutch in the jeep. My dad and I would go on adventures in the West Desert together, in that jeep.  The jeep faithfully took students to West High every day until all three of us (my sister and brother) were graduated. That jeep has driven me to Alta and Snowbird so many times I can't even count them (one year, it drove me up the canyon 60 times!).

In 1996 the Jeep became known as the Friends jeep after my brother's choir at West High School was sued for singing songs that referenced the messiah during the christmas season.  While the law suit was going on, courts tried to stop the choir from singing a song they sang every year at graduation called, "Friends" because it mentioned "the lord."  The choir stood and sang anyways.  Contrary to popular belief, the jeep is not named after a popular TV show, but a song.  The West High Choir won the law suit and because of that, when I was in the choir I was able to sing all different types of religious music (which, most a'cappella music is).  After getting the special license plate, Jeepie sorta became a legend.

When Mike and I got married, Jeepie came along.  That jeep is a part of my family so when it was stolen on Friday I imagined the worst - and the cops pretty much prepared me for the worst. This whole weekend I couldn't imagine why such an old jeep would mean anything to anyone!

 We got a phone call today, Tuesday, at about 11:30am.  The cops had recovered the Jeep on the west side of town.  A family watched a guy ditch it in front of their house over the weekend, and called and reported it.  Mike picked up Jeepie - who is still in perfect form and even has a quarter tank of gas in it (which means he really didn't drive it very far) and mike's red fleece jacket.

We can only assume the guy who stole it got spooked (and thank goodness).  What a weekend. I think we will start using our Truck Club again. :)

No comments: