Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daniel's been casted!

Daniel has been casted....but not in a play.  Daniel was running around and stepped off of a step and just like that he broke his tibia. Today the doctor explained that Daniel's buckle fracture is called a "toddler fracture" because it is very commonly seen in toddlers, though Daniel is quite a bit younger than the typical toddler.

We're day one into this and I am already pooped. Imagine having a newborn (who has to be carried everywhere) except your newborn doesn't sleep all the time, is constantly pointing to what he wants and weighs 24lbs. I think I am going to get buff - but I shouldn't complain because I'm not the one with the broken leg. 

Daniel is being a very good sport, though you can tell through his little whimpers that he is in a lot of pain. I think he'll be a lot happier with his cast on and his break secure and healing.

I feel like a horrible mom because he stepped off of the step right within my reach. At the same time, I feel like a good mom because I went with my gut and when I could get him to calm down after four hours I took him down to Bryner Clinic to get looked at - and I was right - something really was wrong!  It really sucks, and I wish it was me who was hurting instead of Daniel, but Daniel has had much much worse and I guess a broken bone is what comes with the territory of having a little boy.

And so it begins. 

Daniel is very relieved that he still has his toes. Every now and then he grabs them just to make sure...

Case and point.


I took my least favorite pair of Daniel's PJs and chopped off the leg. Now we have cast-friendly jammers.  Here's the little dude on the night of his casting.

Yes it is a red cast. Go utes!  The doc says he'll be able to walk and hobble around on his new cast in a few days. He even has a little infant cast-walking shoe. More pictures to come... 

8 comments:

abellamy said...

We Love us some Bryner Clinic!!! Best docs out there. Daniel looks like a stud with his cast on. Here's to it healing fast.

SGarff said...

Cutest cast ever. Hope he heals fast.

Ash and Joe said...

what a tough little guy and what a smart momma! pretty sure seeing him hobbling around in a cast will be the cutest thing ever. hang in there!

Lindsey said...

Poor Daniel! I am glad you got him all fixed up. You aren't a bad mom, sooner or later they all get hurt one way or another. Daniel is probably just more adventuresome than most toddlers his age.

April Celeste Garff said...

He sure does look cute! Getting to be such a big boy!

teacher2mom said...

LOVE the cast! What a trooper. It is totally inevitable for little kids to get hurt...especially active boys! I'm sure we'll have our turn someday. Good luck with everything and we hope he heals quickly!

Aimee said...

So sad yet so cute at the same time! Give Daniel a hug and kiss from us.

Barb said...

Poor little man!