Monday, April 12, 2010

This one's for the girls!

When I say "girls," I mean chickens. And when I say "chickens" I am talking about the three little ladies in a box under a light in my basement bathroom. That's right folks - we got chickens! You know what that means? Farm fresh eggs...or should I say backyard fresh eggs in a matter of a few more weeks!

Crazy idea to get chickens right? Totally. But this crazy idea wasn't actually MY crazy idea (for once) it was my sister's.  I got this phone call at 11pm a couple of months ago. It was Patricia.  "Don't hang up. I have an idea I want to share with you and I just want you to think about it for a while. Don't hang up the phone until you hear me out.  Let's get chickens!"

I obviously didn't hang up the phone. After our lengthy conversation, I got off the phone and told Mike the crazy idea.  "Yeah. Why not?"  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by his lack of surprise as this is the guy who lived on a boys ranch for 7 summers.

So now you'll not only get to hear about my adventures as a new mother, but on this blog you'll also be hearing about my bunny, our fish and our chickens. I feel like I'm livin' on a farm.

Eggs anyone?

This is Meatball.  She is named that because she will one day be our largest chicken - and will lay the most eggs.  Meatball is a Buff Orpington.

This is Cuisine Mary.  She's named after one of the Queens of England.  She is a Black Sexlink- a hybrid most likely between a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock.


Meet Coco.  Like Coco Puffs OR Coco Channel. Whichever you prefer.  Coco is a Cuckoo Maran and will lay dark brown eggs.

Cazuela. May she rest in peace. Yes, it is with great sadness that I announce we lost Cazuela to a trying-to-fly-out-of-the-chicken-box accident.  She was  an Araucana who was to lay colored speckled eggs.  We have since acquired two more Araucanas - affectionately named "Toast" and "Jam."

As "The Girls" are a joint venture between the Garffs and the Barnes, more can be read and seen of the chickens on Patricia's blog.

No comments: