On Ice Cream. I truly enjoy grocery shopping and feel I had some great success with the shopping and the cooking this week; although I hit a snag. I was pushing my new grocery cart down the frozen food isle. [a note on the new grocery carts: these are the best. They're the perfect size. Bigger than a hand basket, smaller than a big cart. Just right.]. Last time I went grocery shopping I made the mistake of buying the Lowfat Ben and Jerry's instead of the usual that Mike and I have determined is the best type of ice cream out there....Dreyers. Well, to make a long story short, after a few bites and a few days in the fridge, the Ben and Jerry's LowFat Frozen
Yogurt went kinda hard and icey (probably from lack of cream). SO I had to make up for my bad idea by picking up some Dreyers Cookies and Cream for Mike (his favorite). It was when I opened the foggy freezer door to pick up the ice cream that I first noticed. Dreyers has reduced the size of their ice cream cartons by an entire half quart! Everyone knows that ice cream comes in 2 quart containers. Well, Dreyers has kept their prices the same and reduced what we get by an entire half quart. First, they take over our Snelgroves. Then, they sell off our flavors and now they are reducing their packaging sizes. Does anyone remember a few years ago when the Jr. Bacon Cheese Burger at Wendy's went up in price by thirty cents from it's $0.99 killer price? No one bought it and Wendy's was forced to go back to the original price. My only hope is that Dreyers is forced to go back to its original size. Did they not think we were smart enough to notice? Did they think we'd keep consuming even though it's a total rip off? Mike and I decided that even though we love(d) Dreyers it's time to find a new kind of ice cream to love. I cannot support this type of rip-off. Does anyone have suggestions for deliciously creaming ice cream brands?On dinner experiments. I make a lot of dinner experiments. This was mostly because I didn't really have any cookbooks when we first got married. To make up for that, Mike and I would say, "I want Chicken Cordon Bleu for dinner" and I would guess at how to make Chicken Cordon Bleu. We'd say "we want beef and broccoli stir fry for dinner," and I would make up a recipe. Some experiments really work, some experiments are an embarrassing failure. And some experiments are so delicious, but you go to make them again later and can't duplicate the results (probably the most common occurance). I was so excited about my most recent experiment that I had to share the results with everyone. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich experiment:


3 comments:
I am sorry but I do not have any great suggestions. However, I do really enjoy Spoon Me and LunaBerry (lunaberry has very yummy desert crapes). But I will have to be on the look out for some yummy creamy ice cream ideas!!
Way to go Catherine!! I am SO impressed by your "experiments" and of course LOVE to do the same thing! The Philli looks incredible and I too can't believe that Dryers ice cream has cut 1/2 a quart--CRAZY! I have been impressed with Albertson's brand ice cream....right now it is 2 for $6 and we love it! Of course you can never go wrong with a Maverick run:) Let's hang out soon! Love ya both.
Finally your blog is accessable! Way to go fixing things!
Post a Comment