Monday, February 18, 2008

A day in the life of an infusion.

So I love getting shots and IVs now. Its actually a trick Patricia taught me when we were getting ready to go to Haiti to pick up steve from his mission. You see, I used to HATE shots. I used to take a stuffed animal to any appointment where I knew I was going to have a hole poked in my skin. Then, one day I heard my scientific sister bragging about how much she liked watching the doctor give her shots. The rest is history. I do like being a science project! I like giving blood. I like getting shots. It's cool to watch people give IVs. It's all in perspective. It's not like shots really hurt or anything. It's all in the head.

So after the last month's experiences, I have definitly gotten my catherine-is-a-science project fill. I recieved 3 infusions and even let the nursing students practice on my veins. I figure that these people had to learn on SOMEONE. I have a high pain tolerance, so come practice on me. This is a picture of the best IV I had. (Note to reader: All nurses gave great IVs except for one who messed up). I have also decided I prefer the under-forearm for IV placement. Hands get sore and if they go in your elbow-pit you can't move your arm. This is a pic of a hand IV.



I also don't mind getting paid to participate in studies where IVs may come into play. Such studies include the Pet Study and the friendship study. Sterling and I made $200 one summer for getting IVs and taking a brief survey. It was well worth the time and money. Too bad I didn't make money in february for all the IVs and tests I took. I didn't even get a letter grade! Think about it: I could have had a 4.0 and a million bucks.

1 comment:

Cara said...

You are a far braver person than me!